Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Day 24: July 30, 2008

I have discovered that, as each group of children comes and sits down in their chairs, if I stand in front and say, “Good morning!” very enthusiastically, they will all jump to their feet and respond with, “Good morning, Auntie Rebecca!” I then ask, “How are you today?” And they say, “We are fine, thank you.” Slight pause and a few rather shy looks, then, “And how are you, Auntie Rebecca?” I say, “I am fine, thank you.” Then they all sit down. I think every school in America should start off each class period this way. It is very cute.

I wrote another song for the children. This one is in Lugandan, as that is a language that all the precious children at the Bugolobi school will understand. I have given it to John Paul to translate, and I hope to have it back tomorrow, as I am a bit nervous that I will not know how to say all the words well enough by Friday, our last day here. But it is not the perfection of my singing that matters, but the heart and truth of the words.

Father, teach us how to give our all to You and You alone. Teach us to be caught up in nothing but You and You alone. This team is . . . busier . . . than my Rwandan team. We have so many projects and plans and preparations that must be done in the evening to get ready for the next day - and they are very good things, which the children will be grateful for, no doubt - only it seems that these things are taking up all our time and leaving us with little laughter. Little spontaneity and enjoyment. Like the difference between Martha and Mary, I wonder if we are so caught up in doing that we have not found time enough to simply, quietly sit at Your feet. See to it, my Lord, that we do not miss the point. You are so awesome, so holy, and You are worthy of all our worship all our lives.

And for my heart, Jeshua . . . I have fallen in love with these people here. Some few in particular, of course - but the African people as a whole. The land. The music. The bright eyes and dark faces. I have a dream of finding my castle in the mountains and opening it for these precious children. Of using horses and art and writing and music and drama - everything You’ve given me, Lord - to reach the children with Your great love. The dream becomes more clear here, Lord, than it has ever been before, and I praise You for that. But I still cannot see the way to it, Father. You must lead me on. Prepare the way for me to go. I follow after You. My heart is captivated by You - by Your face, Lord God Almighty. May my every word, every thought, every deed be pleasing in Your sight, my King. Amen.

Bugolobi school facing the dark storm clouds rolling our way. If you can see the little smudge of yellow shirts on the far left, that's where we held music class.

Remember the monkey I was telling you about . . . Yeah, well. Meet Lloyd.

What Jon and I do.

Some of the dear children. It is actually quite difficult to get any pictures of them when they are not looking at you and smiling fabulously.