Pages

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Day 21: July 27, 2008

“How good it is to sing praises to our God (Psalm 147:1) . . . to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to seek Him in His temple (Psalm 27:4) . . . Blessed our those who dwell in Your house; they are ever praising You (Psalm 84:4) . . . The Lord is good to all; He has compassion on all He has made (Psalm 145:9) . . . Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle. (Psalm 24:8) . . . The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love (Psalm 103:8).”

And I praise you, Father God, for the absolute, astounding truth in all these words. Amen!

Today was Sunday, and we went to church this morning. The same church that the dear children at the Machindi training center attend - the same children who will be touring the States soon, the children I have stayed with twice now. They dance and sing with such passion in church just as they do in their nightly devotions, and it is an absolute joy to join in worship with them.

My God, You have met me in Nebraska, in China, in the Philippines, in England, in Mexico, in Oregon, in Rwanda. And today You met me in Uganda. Everywhere I go, You are with me. That was the point of the sermon this morning: the God Who abandons not. But even before the sermon, during one of the worship songs that I’d never heard before, there came suddenly sweeping over me an all-consuming sense of Your nearness. I have felt it before, and it is one of the sweetest things in all the world. It was the captivating picture of You simply looking at me and saying in absolute truth, “I have made you, and I will carry you . . . I am your Father; you are My child. Follow Me . . . Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart . . . When you are weak, then I am strong . . . I will never leave you or forsake you.” Your words, my Lord, brought tears to my eyes. Your words are the reason I can carry on - the reason behind any good I might do - the reason I am here in Africa. You are so very good.

The pastor said again and again that God never abandons us - even when it seems like He has - that waiting is good - that what God has started, He will finish. And it was like You were saying to me, “Don’t be afraid of what’s happening next. I will be with you, so what is there to fear?” “When God is for us, who can be against us?” I don’t know what You have for me after this trip, Lord. I did not come to Africa to stay - not this time around anyway - but being here is such a joy . . . Well, surely there is nothing in the Western world I could possibly enjoy so much as being right here! But I must go back at the end of this trip, yes? Dearest God, You tell me there is nothing to fear. You will be with me. You will be with me. And You will be with me. So, there is nothing to fear.

I praise You, Jehovah, for speaking to me today. I thank You for Your incomparable greatness, for Your utter faithfulness, for Your tender mercy. Everlasting God, I worship You. Remind me, oh Lord, my Savior. Teach me to remember Your promises to me - Your promises that are faithful - Your promises that are true - Your promises that never fail. Change me here for eternity, Sovereign, that I might be ever closer to You. Your love for me is wonderful; I know this full well. As You have loved me . . . so, Father, may I love . . . Karim, Alex, Eric, Minani, Charity, Sarah, Eva, Prossy, Jessica, Molly, Jon, Miriam, Candice, LeeAnn, Kathy, John Paul, Henry . . . the list is endless. Teach me to love with Your love, dear Jesus. You have overwhelmed me with Yours. I am humbled by Your concern - wrapped up in Your arms - captivated by You - by Your love for me. Lead, Savior - lead me on. Amen.