Pages

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Day 17: July 23, 2008

I left Rwanda today. If it broke my heart to do it, still, it had to be done. I am glad You have plans that I know nothing of, or I should want to stay forever in Rwanda at the cost of missing all that You have for me if I leave.

We left at 8:00 a.m. - Lindsay, Abraham, and I in a taxi to go catch our bus. But first Abraham needed to make a quick stop at the orphanage for something he had forgotten yesterday. And so, unexpectedly, I saw Karim yet one more time. Only it was all rather pathetic - like something you might see in a movie, and, indeed, that is nearly what it felt like - for I was under strict orders not to actually go into the orphanage, and he could not come out. So, there we were, me in my hated taxi and he behind the hated iron gate of the orphanage, and all we could do was look at each other. I think his face is permanently etched in my mind. Dear God, when will You take me to see the dear boy again? I pray it is soon.

The bus ride was long - but happily not as long as my first Uganda-Rwanda bus journey! The scenery was every bit as breathtaking as I remembered, and the beauty rather soothed the ache in my heart. Every thought was a song, a memory, a prayer for the dear people I am leaving behind. There is a song that goes, “Some day we’ll walk upon the streets of gold.” This is my hope.


And so the Rwanda team has gone our separate ways. I am writing from Kampala, Uganda; Lindsay is in the same country, but not with me; Chelsea, Charity, Amy, and Sarah are all on a plane or in an airport somewhere between here and the Western world. They have become like sisters to me, and now we part. I thank God for Heaven! Oh, for the dearness of Home where God shall wipe away every tear from our eyes . . . Help us, gentle Savior, to glorify Your name here on earth - to consider how we might spur on one another towards good deeds in Christ. Amen!

Kampala is beautiful - more spread out than Kigali, bumpier roads, less traffic lights, more English . . . My heart burns - bleeds for what I have left behind. My Jesus, help me not to look back. To remember, yes. Always. How could I forget? But to live fully in the day You give me. To be all here in Uganda with this new team I will be meeting tomorrow - even as I was all in the happy days in Rwanda with my team there. I pray Your tenderest love and mercy on Karim - on Eric - on Alex - on Afisa - on all the girls who are flying . . . Jesus, wrap us up in Your arms.