Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

Day 20: July 26, 2008

Today we went out to visit the grounds where we’ll be holding our second week of camp. It’s really quite a lovely place, situated on Lake Victoria, decorated with brilliant flowers and towering trees - and we even saw a few curious monkeys! We met the team from the UK there; they will be working with the older kids at camp, while we will have the younger. Very randomly, one of the girls visiting that team was someone I’d met just briefly while living out in Oregon. What a funny world.

As two nationalities colliding in yet a third cultural setting, we went down the long list of our differences: KFC, American football vs. what the rest of the world calls football (ie: soccer), soda or pop, and don’t you dare call those things you’re wearing pants! It was great fun. We threw a mostly-empty water bottle around for entertainment when the conversation lagged, climbed dexterously on top of an elephant (too bad it was made of stone), played a group name/memory game that made us all laugh, and ate a very good - very Western - lunch. Sandwiches, Pringles, and chocolate chip cookies - yum! Did I forget to mention that the food was incredibly healthy? And, if that wasn’t enough, it was Ben’s (from the British team) birthday, and someone had whipped up a delicious chocolate cake which we promptly, and possibly unwisely, devoured.

So, the day was what I might call more “Western” than any day here yet. Good, but not quite African. Except for the monkeys. I think, dear God, that the hardest part of this journey is the in-between stages. I love to be with the children - to sing with them, to watch them dance with such delight, to play random games, all the while watching those brilliant rays of pure laughter flash like fireworks over their faces . . . But to sit here apart from them, remembering the ones I have known and looking forward to those I have yet to meet, and holding them all out to You in my heart, while it breaks - this is the hardest part.

Our one and only elephant sighting in Uganda. They even let us take a free ride! . . . Hm.


My first sighting of chocolate since coming to Africa (Well, other than the $4.00 candy bars for sale at a store in Rwanda). I do not think I have to put my reaction in words.


A couple glimpses at the gorgeous camp grounds.