Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

Day 13: July 19, 2008

Things start to wind down to their close here in Rwanda. It seems unbelievable that I landed here in Africa only two weeks ago. It seems a lifetime has passed. I expected Uganda to steal my heart away, but Rwanda was just an excuse to spend more time in Africa - to make better use of a $3,000 plane ticket. I didn’t expect Rwanda to capture my heart so completely . . . I didn’t expect the breathtaking beauty of the mountains - the dark horror of the genocide - the grinning dearness of the African people. Dear Jesus, You have exceeded my expectations.

Now I sit here in the sudden quiet after the songs and laughter of the children, and I am trying to find how You have changed me. What has changed me. Why it has changed me. I knew before I came to Africa - knew though I doubted - that You were leading me here for a purpose. Where You lead, I follow, my Lord, for You lead so very well. Now the first half of my trip is coming to a close, and I feel like my heart has been irrevocably stolen - by these dear children, these generous people, this country that has taken my breath away.

How can I leave them? Even seeing in awe-inspiring glimpses how deeply You love them - even knowing that You hold them in the palm of Your hand, that You guide and grow and care with more love than I could ever do. I have a dream I like to call the castle in the mountains, and there are horses there and art and music and fantastic sunsets and lots of time to play. Can You imagine Karim - Minani - Paul at such a castle? Can You imagine the dear orphan children there? This is exactly what I want to do with my life - what I want to spend all my energies and gifts and heart on. To have this castle in the mountains - with all its hopes and peace and joy, and most especially You - and to make it into a home for the orphans. For the dear lost children like Karim. I can think of no more joyful calling. To bring to the forgotten children the joy of their Creator - the joy You created them for - the love, the victory, the strength, the life.

Dear God, I cannot look out and see any possible way to bring this into reality. I see my dream, but it is only that: a dream, as unattainable this moment as any star in the vast heavens. It seems to me so distant, so unreachable, so impossible - in any light but the unwavering confidence of the vision of my heart. Father God, at this end of one adventure - but the beginning of another - I stand and testify that You are faithful. You, God, are God. You are Provider. You are Almighty. Nothing - no, nothing! - will stand in the way of Your purpose for my life. Lead me on, lead me on. Amen.

Great is Thy faithfulness, oh, God, my Father
There is no shadow of turning with Thee
Thou changest not, thy compassions they fail not
As Thou hast been, Thou forever wilt be
Great is Thy faithfulness
Great is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me