Pages

Saturday, September 6, 2008

Day 14: July 20, 2008

We went to church this morning where the tall pastor with the large gray suit jacket spoke in French and the short interpreter in the pale pink shirt spoke English and said “cree-aye-ture,” my new favorite pronunciation of the word “creature.” In Christ, we are a new cree-aye-ture, made to rule and reign, to “take captive every thought,” to guard our minds. Just as last week the pastor talked about guarding our hearts. Thank God for these messages.

The rest of the day was spent in rest. Sarah went to a local shop to get her hair done up in African braids, and she was gone for seven hours. Imagine spending nearly one third of the day getting your hair done! The rest of us watched a movie. Afterwards, I went out on the balcony with my guitar. Amy joined me after awhile, and we spent a good long hour or so singing song after song. The calluses on my fingers are so tough now that I can play for a couple hours, and it doesn’t hurt. I think I am quite proud of my calluses. When finally we put the guitar away, we broke out the cards, learning a new form of Spoons - we might call it Forks - with Eric (one of our translators), Chelsea, Amy, Abraham, Sarah, and Alex. It was great fun. Just after 5:00, Sarah (whose hair now looked very nice and African), Lindsay, and I went for a ramble and got lost - but happily so, for it wasn’t at all dangerous, and our hotel is on top of a rather prominent hill. So we could see where we were going to; the trick was finding the correct narrow, winding road to lead us there.

When we arrived safely back at the hotel, it was nearly time for Sarah’s 18th birthday party. We had gotten a cake and made a card (well, Chelsea managed the cake, and Charity created the card). My teammates decided to turn it into a party for me as well, since I’d forgotten it before, for they gave me a sweet, hilarious card that I will treasure. And since it was Sarah’s birthday, she got to invite some kids from the orphanage, one of which, very happily, was Karim. So they came to the hotel as the sun was falling over the high western hill opposite our hotel, looking for the first time rather shy and apprehensive and out-of-place. Karim grinned when he saw me and gave me a big hug. It was a lovely party - lots of singing to each other, taking pictures with the rather blinding camera flash, joking, and eating cake with thick icing! Abraham, Alex, Eric, and the other boys fulfilled the Ugandan tradition of throwing the birthday people in the air one time for each of their years. Twenty-six times. Unbelievable.

After cake, Karim came to sit by me, and we played the dot game - where you add lines to the dots and try to complete more boxes than the other person. Then it was time for the orphans to return to their orphanage, so they left, but they did rather look like we were expelling them from their most beloved place on earth. How sad their faces grow when it is time to say goodbye! I think I can see them all one last time on Tuesday, as that day is free and I know some others from the team are planning to visit the orphanage then. I would like to see Karim especially, of course, and tell him that everything good he loves in me is from You - that You love him so much - that You are constant joy and peace - that You are life everlasting - that You are his Father. I want to tell him to read his Bible every day and talk often with You - and lead well and justly - and be kind and fair with the other children . . . and know that I will never, can never, forget him. That his smile and laughter and the generosity of his heart have changed my life. Father God, if I can talk to Karim on Tuesday, I ask You to give me the words to say, to write. Give me a verse to share with him. I love all the children, but this one boy has touched my heart. Show me how to respond . . . And thank You so much for today. We as a team got to share this evening about what the trip meant to us: highlights, lessons, etc. It was beautiful to see how You have brought us all together for the glory of Your name. We praise You, dearest Lord. Amen.