Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

What It's Like to Be a Bride

I would like to start off by saying I have no qualifications for writing this post.  I’ve never been a bride.  I get slightly bored sitting through weddings.  I don’t know what color I want my bridesmaids to wear. (Not that I have any bridesmaids.) I’ve never owned an all-white dress.

On the other hand, I have every qualification for writing this post.

God is showing me that I am a piece in a whole, a member in a body, a part of His bride. (Sorry, men.  I’m not sure how that all works from where you stand.  I’m sure God has His reasons.)

A week ago, Teri asked me what I learned on the tour.  The traveling-around-the-States-praying-for-gas-money-walking-into-restaurants-with-no-money-to-pay-for-food-enjoying-every-hot-tub-we-could time.  This is what I told her:

Six weeks ago I didn’t know God was this faithful.  That He could do something that I labeled failure and still be true.  That He could catch us when we were falling off a cliff and make it funny.  That He could give us this many presents when it wasn’t any of our birthdays.  Five weeks ago I didn’t know His bride - His American bride - was this beautiful.  That she was being called to walk in love, and she was answering the call.  That she was striving hard to be His hands and His feet.  That she was so generous and honest and kind.

I’ve seen the American Church alive and worshiping.  I’ve seen complete strangers open their front doors and welcome us with hugs.  I’ve seen hearts healed.  I’ve seen dreams lived.  I’ve seen the same God I saw in Haiti and Africa and China and around the world take charge of a red mini-van to proclaim His kingdom in the USA.

Welcome to the Bride of Christ.  Around the world, God is calling His children to rise up, to give up, to shout out, to live out the truth and life that are found in Jesus only.  Many of His children are answering that call.  I’ve seen it.  And it’s gorgeous.

Not because it’s about us at all.  But because as we bow at His feet, our faces start to reflect His.  And that’s what the world is dying to see.

To God be the glory.