Pages

Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day 6: July 12, 2008

We awoke this morning to our last day at Gisenyi school in the beautiful blue Rwandan mountains. It was sports day for all the children, grades kinder (kindergarten) through P6 (junior high). The past two days we have only had charge of P5 and P6, so it was quite fun - and a bit scary! - to see our audience triple. Whether due to mental capacities or just plain fun, my team voted me into the kindergarten group - approximately 30 kids. Ages 6 and 7. And none of them spoke English. I walked into the classroom at the beginning of our session to see all those bright eyes staring out of serious black faces and thought, “What am I going to do with these children for the next hour and a half?!”

We started by introducing ourselves and taking a nap. Or pretending to take a nap. With lots of rather loud snoring, of course. That broke the ice, so then we tromped outside (Follow the Leader) for slightly altered versions of Simon Says, Duck-Duck-Goose, and Red Light-Green Light (we called it Go-Go-Stop). This last game was my favorite. I’m not quite sure the kids fully understood all the rules, cause I had to yell “Stop!” several times before they would actually cease moving towards me. And even then they’d try to sneak a couple steps. But what made the game so much fun was at the end - when they all caught me. I think a little piece of rice must feel that way when it is discovered by a group of roving ants. First they converge on the helpless little thing, then they all have to touch it, and then wherever they go - well, the rice doesn’t have much of a choice, does it? It follows along. I now fully understand the term “swept away by the crowd.”

Amy also taught our happy little group a chant of sorts. It started in the Dominican Republic, then traveled to Alaska, and has now quite definitely made its mark in Rwanda. We have no clue what, if anything, it means. You start off by cupping your hands around your mouth and yelling at the top of your lungs, “Oh ma chay chay!” It then progresses from there. The kids loved it!

But even the thrill of “Oh ma chay chay!” must pale in comparison with what happened next in our day. We wrapped up our very enjoyable sessions and headed out to the soccer field for a surprise from the children. They instructed us all to sit on the rather steep hillside so we could look down below at the large group of children. We all had our cameras at the ready . . . And then they danced for us. Never in my life have I seen such a dance. Some of the older children came out in tribal dress, and they had carried their cow-skin drums out, of course; a large African lady in a bold orange dress led the songs, and even my little kindergartners clapped spiritedly.

I think the thing I loved best was not the dancing in and of itself - fascinating as that was - but the looks of absolute delight on the children’s faces. There was one boy in particular. His name is Paul, and he was one of our very capable group leaders. Every leaping step he took was accompanied by a brilliant smile that quite literally took up his entire face. He was beaming, and just sitting there watching him grin was captivating.

After the traditional dances - one of which was a courtship dance that had us all laughing till we could scarcely breathe - the entire school sang song after song for us. They had been sitting in the grass watching the dances with us, but now they all stood to their feet, clapped their hands, jumped up and down, spun in circles, and made a very joyful noise. The sound of those children’s sweet, animated, very loud African voices was amazing. Watching them, I felt I had given nothing at all - given up nothing at all - compared to the vastness of their open hearts. What is a paltry $6,000 in the face of such a gift? Their generosity, their return thankfulness was priceless, beyond measure. I treasure it.

We left Gisenyi early in the afternoon, saying goodbye to our dear friends, and bumping down the winding road back to Kigali. But I left a part of my heart up in those blue mountains. I can never wholly belong to myself again.

One more blurb, and then I am done. I have gotten to know - and greatly enjoy! - the other members of my team. I would so like to briefly share them. There is Amy, who shares my strange sense of humor, and so we laugh constantly. She is fearless with the children and willing to try almost anything new. Lindsay is very adventurous and rather blunt, which I like - and loves to serve, especially in art. Chelsea is a definite teacher with her organization and patience, and she is amazing with kids, especially the young ones. Charity has a heart to follow after God and share His love with everyone around her. Sarah is the youngest - with brilliant gifts in music and dance and an incredible amount of enthusiasm. Abraham and Barnett are our African leaders, and they are joy - strength and encouragement and confidence and laughter. Prossy and Eva are also African, and they have been ever so helpful with cultural differences. Like when they explained to us about the underwear.

You have put together a most fascinating team, Lord. And You knew exactly what You were doing when you brought us all safely here. How beautiful it is! Continue Your work, my Lord. Continue Your work. Amen.

"Oh ma chay chay!"


Paul's brilliant smile


Paul dancing with his brilliant smile (he's the one on the far left)