Pages

Friday, August 22, 2008

Day 1: July 7, 2008

Today I came back to Africa. The words themselves thrill me. The colorful friendliness of these dark, proud people . . . the odd-shaped trees enlivening an already jubilant landscape . . . the very redness of the earth bleeding with passion and strength. Dear God, You have gifted me a rich and captivating treasure by bringing me back here.

I come exhausted. After 48 hours of noisy solitude, 7 different airports (5 of them international), 6 airplanes, sporadic food and even more sporadic sleep . . . I was met at the airport by two complete strangers - and we nearly didn’t find each other! - and they took me to Machindi, the training home/school for the newest African Children’s Choir getting ready to come visit America this September. We are here on the side of a hill in a happy little compound with 22 darling African children. I met them all, and then they showed me some of their dances - all spontaneous! - and tried to teach me some of the moves, but I’m afraid that didn’t go over so well. I met Christopher and Peace and Illuminate and all the rest, but I haven’t remembered all their names.

This afternoon was spent taking a glorious African-style bath, which, regardless of the rather cool temperature of the water, worked wonders with the layers of airport grime. The remainder of the day was spent with the children. They are so beautiful - with their brilliant, sincere little smiles and their shy welcomes.

My most treasured part of this evening was joining them for their devotions. They met in the little white-washed room with concrete floor that serves as their classroom/dining room/dance and song lessons room/and recreational area. And these little 8-11 year olds worshiped! To the pounding beat of the hand drums, they sang, they danced, they clapped, they raised their hands, they closed their eyes . . . and worshiped You. I’ve rarely if ever seen worship so enjoyed before - so utterly delighted in - so honestly, so humbly, so joyfully accepted. No wonder You told us to become like little children.

My prayer, God, is that You would teach me to worship like that - with simple sincerity, passion, and joy . . . My hope is that I can see those dear children worship You again. This is enough for now. Today was fantastically colorful - and I’m sure tomorrow will be something new yet again! But for now, this is enough. Thank You.





“. . . And if you honor it by not going your own way and not going as you please or speaking idle words, then you will find your joy in the Lord, and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land . . .” - Isaiah 58:13, 14