Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Way We Duel

I walked through the front door this afternoon to this:

 Yes, that does say supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

And, yes, it is spelled correctly.

This is my family’s newest and most interesting way to duel.  It’s a spin-off from the game Bananagrams (like Scrabble on steroids).  My sister Kristi did it.  She used all the letters in the bag. (Just don’t look too close at how she spelled some of the words.) She said it only took her about ten minutes.

That was it.  I consider myself an expert (eh-hem) in the art of English language usage.  I got straight A’s in that class when I was in school.  I breezed through Crime and Punishment and suffered through Shakespeare.

The duel was on.

Kristi challenged me to sit down and write a story.  A story using all the letters from Bananagrams.  I rolled my shoulders, scooted into a chair, and started in.

Five hours later (Okay, really, it was less than 30 minutes), this was the result:


I didn’t cheat at all, except for a Z or two turned sideways when I ran out of N’s.

This is what we’re doing in my house these days.  This is how we spend our time.  If anyone out there still believes in dueling, here’s your challenge right now: Come up with a better story than we did in half an hour or less.  You’re allowed to turn Z’s into N’s and W’s into M’s, but you have to use all the letters, and you can’t misspell any words ... Unless the dog’s name is Jef.

:-)

P.S. If you're planning to visit my house any time soon, I advise you to bring some chocolate and a dictionary.