Pages

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Addicted

Hi. My name is Rebecca. I’m addicted to taking mission’s trips.

No. Really. I think I am. Nothing helps. I should know; I’ve tried. Spending all my money on . . . car insurance and Captain Crunch. Watching movies of foreign places and pretending I’m there. Reading horror stories of planes swallowed by the sea. Locking myself in the closet.

Okay, I never really locked myself in the closet.

I even moved to Hong Kong for a year and a half. And went on a week-long mission’s trip to the Philippines from there.

But I thought I was making a break-through. I haven’t been out of the country for an entire 24 months. Two years and no new stamps in the passport. That’s pretty good, right? And I’ve only been to ten states in the meantime. Eh-hem. Eleven. Not counting Nebraska.

I have a confession to make. I’m going to Haiti in October.

Sorry, fellow addicts. I’ve let you down. Again.

It was my church’s idea. My dad’s helping to head it up. My sister’s going. And my mom. And my brother-in-law. Plus 16 other people I more or less know. My dog has to stay home.

I’m actually pretty excited. Except the part about my dog. Is that better than being in denial? We’re going with AIM (Adventures in Missions), and we’ll be doing stuff with food, orphans, churches, water, mosquitoes, sweat, and cameras. We don’t actually know exactly what we’re going to be doing. Flexibility is a good thing. I’ll let you know when I get back.

The exact dates of the trip are October 3-10. Two and a half months and counting. We need shots and backpacks and stickers and plane tickets and bug spray. And prayer. We could use quite a bit of prayer. For flexibility. If we’re open to anything, I’m sure God will do the rest.

So, I’m inviting you to join in the addiction. I’d tell you to come, but we’ve already got more on the trip than we’re supposed to. You can go next year. In the meantime, please pray. For us. For them. For you. For the world. God is much more addicted to missions than I am.


Here we are. The team. Stocking up on shots and counting down the days.