Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2007

So, I Was Driving Home When . . .

I have to warn you. What you are about to read has absolutely no educational value. It may not exactly kill brain cells, but it’s definitely not going to enlighten any of them either. What follows is complete, rather silly, hopefully . . . um, interesting randomness.

So, I was in my car the other day. Driving home from work. Four-lane highway. Speed limit 65 mph. Which is what I was doing. But then this car passes me on the left, slows down, drives along right next to me. I give them a .2-second glance, and, hey! - it’s my friends, and they’re saying hi!

Sure.

So, I smile big and wave right back. Hm. That was nice. My friends’ car pulls forward, and I’m stuck for a second wondering where they got such a funny-looking car. Oh, well. They switch over to my lane and speed along their way, not knowing that they totally made my day by waving at me. But then their brake lights go on, and they pull over to the side of the road. Oh, how sweet, now my friends want to say hi. So, I pull over too, still waving happily and grinning from ear to ear.

Then the driver’s side door opens, and this spiky-haired dude pokes his head out, and - oh, goodness! - I’ve never seen him before in my life. Every cliche in the book about eyes being big as saucers, mouth hanging open, being knocked over speechless, and all the rest were true of me at that moment. You have no idea how disconcerting it is to see the face of a complete stranger when you're expecting a good friend. But the story’s about to get even better.

So, Spike looks back at me and shouts, “Hey! My buddy wants to know if you’ll go out with him.”

Huh?

Between a sudden unmanageable torrent of incredulous giggles, I manage to shout back a not very stern, “No!”

Spike then proceeds to ask me if I’d like to go out with him instead.

Negative. Finding it rather hard to breathe at this point.

So, this guy, shooting me a baffled look that reads something like “Shoot, why not?” mixed with “What in the world is wrong with you?”, disappointedly gets back in his car and drives away. Fast.

I was still laughing half an hour later. Got inspired that afternoon though. Had this amazingly pointless song with a bit of a country twang pop into my head. Starts off like this: “Driving down the highway, doing ‘bout 65.” Maybe it’ll be a hit someday. :-)