Pages

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Final Chapter: Not Merely in Theory

I’d like to close with two small verses from I John 3.  I’ll use the Amplified version because we don’t often hear it put this way, and because I like words.

In verses 17 and 18, John writes, “But if anyone has this world’s goods (resources for sustaining life) and sees his brother and fellow believer in need, yet closes his heart of compassion against him, how can the love of God live and remain in him?  Little children, let us not love [merely] in theory or in speech but in deed and in truth (in practice and in sincerity).”

I don’t know about you, but I’m tired of simply talking.  Reading.  Researching.  Discussing.  Debating.

I’m tired of just saying how much we have loved, how much we do love, how much we’re going to love.

I’m ready to find ways to put it into practice.

When Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was - in other words, what should we strive for?  What gives our lives meaning?  What is the goal? - He answered with a very brief, “Love God and love others.”

There’s the aim of the Christian life.  Five little words.  Who knew it could be so simple?

But those are mere words on paper.  That’s just another story.  This is only another speech, another nice theory.

Unless we go out and do something about it, this won’t change anything.

I’m not okay with that.

Are you?

“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth,
whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine,
you did for Me.’ ” (Matthew 25:40)