Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

Conversations

This past weekend, I had a three-hour conversation with God out on the dock on the lake under the sun and the sky and the wind.

We talked about George Muller and time lines and faith and work and advice and wisdom and foolishness and how pretty the geese looked when they flew over the water.  I had a lot of questions.  I didn’t get a lot of answers.  Instead, I walked away with a simple two-word invitation.

“Pray more.”

As in, minute by minute, every breath, in between the heartbeats.  “Pray without ceasing.”  Cause all this work is meaningless if God hasn’t told me to do it.  And I won’t know if He’s telling me to do it unless I ask Him.  And I won’t hear Him unless I’m listening.  And that only works for today, and tomorrow I’m going to need the same thing.  It’s a process, not a destination.

On the way back to the house, I kept praying.  I’m learning, see?  I asked God to give me the opportunities to share how He’s working in me, and mostly to keep the communication lines so close between the two of us, that no matter what He says, no matter when He says it, I’m already listening, so I know exactly what He’s asking me to do, and I jump right in and do it.  I asked for His words to speak, cause I flounder all over the place when I’m trying to speak on my own.

And then I walked into the house, and Clint asked, “What are you hearing?”

He knew I had gone out to the dock to pray, and he wanted to know what God was saying.

So, I told him.  “I’m trying to find the line between work and business plans and time lines and all that, and faith.”

And then I stopped.  I am not what you call an external processor.  I am most comfortable thinking things over without speaking a word to anyone, and then sooner or later arriving at a conclusion that I often find really hard to communicate.  “Wow,” I thought.  “I just condensed a three-hour conversation into a single sentence.”

And then I thought, “Well, of course, I did.  Didn’t I just ask God for that very thing?”

I’m finding that God is so ready to walk with us in throughout-the-day relationship.  He’s just waiting for us to join the conversation.