Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Things I've Probably Forgotten to Tell You

I forget things. A lot.

I forgot my birthday once. Passed the whole magnificent day with a bunch of barefoot school children in the blue mountains of Rwanda and never remembered a thing until I wrote the date in my journal that night. I’ve forgotten to tell my friends about the arrival of nephews and nieces. I’ve forgotten directions to a house I’ve driven to dozens of times. I’ve forgotten my phone number. I forget on a daily basis why I walked up the stairs, where I had my phone last, and what month it is. Really, it’s probably easier to learn the facts of my life from facebook than from me. My own sister had to learn I was going to Haiti from someone at church.

Oh, you mean I didn’t tell you either?

Oops.

I’m going to Haiti.

It’s been rather sudden. I’ve only known for a week or so, if that makes you feel any better. I’ve joked a bit over the last few years that the next time someone hands me a free plane ticket to anywhere in the world, I’m going . . . Don’t know that I ever really expected it to happen. But it did.

A phone call, an invitation, and a small side note.

*All expenses paid.*

All I have to do is be there.

I guess when God moves, He likes to be flamboyant at times. If I owned the cows on a thousand hills, I’d probably want to be flamboyant too.

So, I’m going down with Adventures in Missions (the same group that we went down with last fall), I’ll be there till early August, it’s all a little vague right now, and I couldn’t be more pleased. Vagueness included.

Don’t worry. I do know more than that: It’s going to be very hot. Electricity’s spotty. Vehicles do not stop for pedestrians. Don’t ask what kind of meat it is. I’m taking my Bible, my guitar, and my toothbrush. And, yes, the mosquitos down there do still have the capability of carrying dengue fever. But you don’t need to fret about that part, because I’m not, and I don’t think God ever was at all.

More info to come.