Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Itunes and Charlie

So, now that I’ve found fame for myself by recording a magnificent total of two CD’s . . . eh-hem . . . I’ve begun to get advice as to what I ought to do with my, um, popularity.

“You should make CD’s and sell them at local stores.”

“You should put your songs on Itunes.”

“If you wear make-up on stage, I will beat you up.”

I would like you all to know (well, all of you except the person who said that last one) that I’ve done all of the above. They just seemed like the things to do. Have you ever talked to someone in the music business? They all make CD’s. They all put their songs on Itunes. They all wear make-up. Sorry, Michael W. Smith.

Then I read Charles Sheldon’s “In His Steps.” A book where ordinary people ask an ordinary question and then live out their daily lives based on the extraordinary answer. “What would Jesus do?” As a millionaire, as a newspaper editor, as a business man, as a pastor. As a musician.

Now, let me clarify a few things first. I am not really famous. Facebook paparazzi, go stalk somebody else. (You know who you are.) And musically speaking, I don’t know that much. Dude, I can’t even read music. However, what I do have is an opportunity to take a gift God has given me and make some money off of it. Woo. Sounds a little harsh when I put it that way, huh? “You cannot serve both God and Money.”

I’m not saying Chris Tomlin and Audio Adrenaline and Francesca Battistelli (Does anyone know how to spell her name without looking?) and all the rest of those Christian singers who have ever sold a song on Itunes or charged fifteen bucks for a concert ticket have got it wrong. I only know for myself that I like the example of George Muller (England. Orphanage. Very cool.), and I like the words of Charles Sheldon, and I’d like to understand Jesus a little better. And one way I’ve found to do that is not charge for my music.

Sorry if this makes your life more complicated. It’s making mine more complicated too. I think it’s worth it. Anything that lets us talk more about what God has done. After all, just recently, He’s given me a free plane ticket, exactly $210.85 (thanks, NC dorm girls!!) to take down to Haitian orphans, and the, uh . . . recently discussed unmentionables (see previous post). And all that without me asking any person for a single cent. I think He can take care of me even if I don’t sell my music on Itunes.