Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Week Out of This World

I was out at camp this past week. It felt kind of like checking out of this world. I forgot all about making money to pay for gas to drive to work to make more money. I forgot that someone had invented the Internet so you could keep in touch with all the people you didn’t have time to see. I forgot about the oil spill in the Gulf. I forgot about inflation and depression and starvation and deprivation. All I knew was that there were these creepy eel-like fish in the pond that could sometimes be convinced to snap at a worm on a hook. And a paper airplane was much cooler when thrown from the top of the zip line tower. And pink was definitely the best color for finger nail polish. Especially if it sparkled.

And there were a bunch of kids just waiting to hear that Jesus loved them. Like the boy who couldn’t get to sleep one night and was heard singing, “I am a child of God,” over and over again. And the little girl who begged me to go on the four wheeler with her - and then the rock climbing wall - and then the fishing pond - and then the crafts building . . . And all the kids, when they packed into the bus to go home, and some were crying, and we broke out with our “Oh ma chay chay” chant, and suddenly everyone was smiling again.

These weren’t just your normal camp kids. These were Royal Family Camp kids, kids who had been through the system. Abandoned, abused, neglected, forgotten. But for five days, we got to tell them they were loved. For five days, I watched every single one of the counselors and staff show these hurting kids purposeful, truthful love. It truly was like living in a different world. I wish you could have seen it. I wish you could have seen what it looks like when God’s people intentionally love the way God loves.

The following are the words to a song I wrote specially for this year’s group of kids. So they would begin to realize how very, very much they are loved.

Beautiful You
Hush, my darling, it’ll be alright
Wipe your tears, all the nightmares
I’ll fight away, don’t be afraid
You are Mine
You are Mine
Hush, my darling, and hold on tight
You’re not alone in the dark of night
You are safe if you remain
By My side
By My side

Cause I found you
And I love you
And I call you beautiful
And I made you
And I know you
You are beautiful
Beautiful, beautiful you

You are My darling, and I
Am the one who loves you
More than anyone you’ve ever
Known to love you before
I love you more

I once dreamed a most beautiful, beautiful dream
And that dream was
That dream was you