Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Lab Rats on Drugs

Lately, it seems everywhere I turn - SMACK! (did that make you jump?) - some new story slams me head-on about a terrible tragedy or horrible wrong. Killer tornadoes, school shootings, vicious murders, dying parents. And I’m left here, reeling like one of those lab rats on drugs, trying to figure out how the puffy cloud that looked like a rhinoceros got stuck in the tree that’s walking towards me with evil intentions. And you can just hear the chess players in heaven going, “Um, oops! Better not try that one anymore!” Ever been there?

I remember from our trip to DC walking through the Holocaust museum with that same stunned/drunk sensation. At one point, my mom summed it all up by commenting, “After all this, it’s amazing that the sun still rises.” Isn’t it, though? What could have convinced the sun that it was worth it to sink down into the west every single night, only to come up again on the far horizon with the morning? And without ever sleeping in too! And why does a rainbow always arch through the sky when light hits minute droplets of water just a certain way? Why do daisies insist on popping out of the ground to flaunt their happy little faces to the world year after year?

You know, I have absolutely no idea why. Turns out there’s a lot I don’t know about life and reason and the way things are. But there is one lesson I have learned from the sunrise and the rainbows and the daisies . . . There is hope. Why? Because no matter how things turn out in this world, this world isn’t our home. I have a different home. Everyone who knows Jesus as Savior does. Here. I got inspired and wrote a song about it. You can’t hear the tune, but the words are the point anyhow.

“Home” - verse 1: What is this peace inside/ I can’t describe/ Could it be finally I belong/ Wondering, desperately/ Then You came and You found me/ Now I find every time I’m with You/ You light up my room/ chorus: And I’ve come home today/ Wrapped up in Your arms/ So very safe/ And You are home to me/ With anyone else I could never be/ Home/ verse 2: Loving Your poetry/ Dance in breathless harmony/ Open up the world beyond the skies/ Held by Your eagle’s wings/ You inspire my heart to sing/ Life is so beautiful with You/ You light up my room/ bridge: My heart is Your home/ Your heart is my home/ You light up my room

I would do well to remember that.