Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Best Family Vacation Ever!

I have just gotten back home from the best family vacation ever. It was my dad’s 60th birthday, and, thanks to some rather intensive, diligent planning on the part of my sisters, all twelve of us (my parents, six kids, and four spouses) found ourselves spending a week under the happy green trees near Washington, DC.

It was an eye-opening experience into two great things: the founding of this nation and the preciousness of my family. We spent four days gaping with our from-the-back-roads-of-Nebraska mouths hanging open, and thoroughly enjoying our tourist labels. In a blur that I don’t think I’ve quite sorted out yet, we saw Mount Vernon; Arlington Cemetery; the Lincoln, Washington, and Jefferson Memorials; the Capital Building and House of Representatives; the Holocaust Museum; the Vietnam and Korean Memorials; and the Smithsonian. I think that’s pretty much in order. We spent our down-time in the best ways possible: playing cards, fishing, sitting around the campfire, and eating chocolate. Of course.

But if I tried to tell you the whole story, you’d be stuck in front of your computer reading it for the next half hour. So, instead, I’ve just posted some pictures. Do enjoy!

Sorry to all of you to whom I shouted, "Stay there!" while I ran and got my camera. I couldn't resist. :-)


My parents standing in the backyard of Washington's home at Mount Vernon.


Our one and only, quickly released fish. Carp.


My personal favorite: during an interview with yours truly, Kermit the Frog.


The whole lot of us, basking in the sun "down by the Bay."