Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The Hunt for a Prince

I’m going to throw out titles like I Kissed Dating Goodbye and Captivating to start this particular blog post off with this sentence: Two years ago I went on the hunt for a prince.  We were putting on a play with an evil duke, a warm princess, and a Golux.  We had all those.  But we were missing a prince.  I only needed one.  Just one single solitary prince.  Surely, he couldn’t be that hard to find.  Surely, they make those still in Nebraska . . . Three yes’s turned to no’s later, I wasn’t so sure.  On performance day, we ended up with a girl playing the part of the prince in place of an actual guy.

She did a great job.

But it wasn’t exactly what I’d had in mind.

You’d think I would have learned my lesson.  Don’t look for princes in Nebraska.  Try California or Russia maybe.  Only traipse through the cornfields if you’re casting parts for “Gone with the Wind.”

Apparently, I like tackling impossible situations.

Several weeks ago, I mentioned something about a musical drama called The Thorn Princess.  You may have seen a cast photo on facebook.  You may have heard the noise from the E-Free church where we’re currently holding practices.  We may even have knocked on your door.  But what I didn’t tell you is that I was going on the hunt for princes again.  Only this time I needed five.

(If you haven’t visited Nebraska recently, you should know that asking for five princes here is like asking for five cows in downtown New York City.)

Watch out for cows next time you visit New York.

I’ve got my five princes.  Through threats, extortion, bribery, and getting down on my knees. (I only did that once . . . Okay, not really.) But that’s not all I got.  I’ve also found three very wise women, a handful of ruffians, a couple street kids, and a Witch of What.

Who knew such jewels existed hidden amongst hundred-year-old farm houses?  Who knew you could find talent like this so far from Broadway?  It’s like a treasure hunt involving facebook stalking, free pizza, a couple school teachers, and endless rows of corn.  I’m pretty proud of my cast.

I’m not quite sure what they think of me.

I tell jokes sometimes that nobody laughs at.

I’d like to introduce you to the cast of The Thorn Princess.  I’d like you to know their names and see what it’s like when they take the stage.  I want you to see what happens when God is in charge of a play performance.

. . . Unfortunately, you’re going to have to wait till November to actually see most of that.  In the meantime, you’re welcome to join us and pray.  We don’t want the spotlight on us.  We want it on Him.