Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

A Note to You

Dear reader,

Sorry.  I haven’t written in a while.  Apparently, I meant the title of my last blog quite literally.  If I have seemed slightly reticent, withdrawn, uncommunicative - what’s a nice way to put it? - alien lately, it’s because I have been.

I’ve been reading a lot.  Copiously.  It’s hard to read and write at the same time, so I stopped writing.  It’s also hard to write when you don’t have anything to say except “I don’t have anything to say.”  That gets a little repetitive after awhile.

Well, I’m still reading, but I have something to say now besides the above-mentioned phrase, and I thought if I told you, maybe I wouldn’t get so many questions about why I’m in Nebraska still.  Let me start out as bluntly as I can:

I am no longer working to get a team together to go to Haiti for two years and start a camp there.  I thought it sounded like a good idea.  Apparently, God disagreed.  He’s quite allowed to do that.  He is God after all.  He has impressed very deeply on my heart the plight of the children in Central Africa (most specifically, the child soldiers in the Democratic Republic of the Congo).  I do not have an outline or a plan or a schedule, and I’m not looking to find one.  I do not know when I will be leaving the country.

So, what am I doing?

I’m learning French and reading.  Mostly books about Central Africa, although there have been a couple missionary biographies and an E. Nesbit story thrown in there as well.

You are welcome to ask me any questions you may have about my current hopes and future plans, but I will warn you, the answer will probably be, “I don’t know.”  What sort of Bohemian would I be if I did know?

God has very pointedly directed my wandering vagabond life for the last ten years, and I am convinced He is going to put me where He wants me when He wants me to be there.  But neither you nor I necessarily need to know how that will look.

At the moment, it’s enough to know this: God’s mystery is better than any plan I could manage to come up with.  “For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.”

When was the last time you stopped planning?

Sincerely,God’s bohemian