Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Benefits of an Early Retirement

So, I hope I’m not the only person who randomly checks other peoples’ blogs every once in awhile - even blogs that haven’t been written on in a LONG time . . .

In January, I started working at our local elementary school as a para-educator for a special need’s child and the pre-school. Para-educators are my new heros; I’ve never known a job that requires that much patience. Then May came, they let all the kids go home, and the teachers (and para-educators) didn’t have anything to do. So, we left. And I suddenly found myself out of a job. I like to think of it as “Retired at the age of 25.”

In this early stage of “retirement,” I - like most people who retire - feel very strongly drawn towards the idea of traveling. I have “settled down” in a place for exactly 1 ½ years, and now I feel it’s time to move on. By the way, one of the teachers at the elementary school once asked if I had commitment issues (you know, with staying in one place for any extended amount of time), and I’m rather afraid that I do.

So, I’m buying a plane ticket to Africa. Kigali, Rwanda, to be exact. This is true. Although my reasoning so far could use a little improvement. The REAL reason I will be going to Africa - flying out in one month, to be exact, and I’m so excited! - is to join with Music for Life (parent organization to the African Children’s Choir) in some kids’ camps that they host over in Africa. I’ll be traveling with two separate teams, the first to Rwanda and the second to Uganda, and we’ll be working with various local schools, orphanages, and churches to share the incredible love of Christ with some of Africa’s neediest children. Our camps will consist of songs, Bible lessons, dance (which I most definitely should not be in charge of!), crafts, games, snacks, etc.

I am incredibly thankful to God for this opportunity to travel - to teach - to enjoy a different culture - and to try to reconcile my memories of one year in Senegal, Africa as a first-grader with what I will be experiencing this summer. I will be doing my best to keep this blog updated with information/pictures/stories, etc. about this trip - and would invite you all to keep in touch. You never know what might happen when you’re retired!